Location: Iceland; severe winter storm conditions countrywide.
Event: The Icelandic Meteorological Office has issued an orange weather alert for December 10 for most parts of Iceland due to a severe winter storm that will bring rain, snow, ice, hurricane-force winds, and avalanche conditions across the country.
The alert is expected to be raised to red (the highest level) by the end of the day today (December 9) for the first time in the history of Iceland.
The Icelandic Road and Coastal Administration will close roads into and out of Reykjavik starting December 10 at 12:00pm for approximately 24 hours (including to Keflavik International Airport.)
Actions to Take:
- Avoid traveling between cities as many roads will be closed.
- Check with your airline if you are scheduled to arrive or depart Iceland in the next few days as domestic and international flights will be affected.
- Monitor the local news for updates (including the online English language newspaper The Iceland Monitor https://(icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/ )
- Seek secure shelter.
- Follow the latest weather forecast on http://en.vedur.is, as well as road conditions on http://www.road.is
- Follow the latest alerts onwww.safetravel.is
- U.S. Embassy Reykjavik, Iceland
+354-595-2248 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Iceland Country Information [https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Iceland.html]
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates