Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status (I-407)

Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status (I-407)


If you wish to abandon your Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) status and relinquish your Permanent Resident Card (“Green Card”), you are strongly encouraged to file the required paperwork and supporting documents directly with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) Field Office at the U.S. Embassy in London.  Processing times at the London Field Office for the I-407 is approximately 5-7 business days.  Instructions on how to file with the London office and links to the required form follow below.

If you choose instead to file your paperwork with the U.S. Embassy in Iceland, your application will be processed in the United States where processing times take several months; please note that while your paperwork is in process and until you receive confirmation of your abandonment from USCIS, you will not be eligible to travel under the ESTA program.

To formally abandon your lawful permanent residency please download and complete the Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status (USCIS Form I-407) and applicable instructions.

Supporting Documentation


Please return the following items with your completed and signed I-407:

Lawful Permanent Resident Card (green card) (Form I-551);

Permit to Re-Enter (Form I-327) (only if applicable);

Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative (Form G-28) (only if applicable);

A stamped, self-addressed envelope

(Note: If more than one application is submitted from one family, you only need to provide one envelope).

Do not submit: United States Social Security cards to this office.

Contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in London for information on the return of social security cards.

Post/Mail your Form I-407 and Supporting Documentation

USCIS Field Office London (I-407)
Embassy of the United States of America
33 Nine Elms Lane
London SW11 7US

Alternatively, you can make an appointment to appear at the London office to formally abandon your status at following link: https://my.uscis.gov/appointment

Special Notes: 

Once USCIS Field Office London receives your completed Form I-407 applicable supporting documentation, a copy of this form will be returned to you in the stamped, self-address envelope you provide.

This is your record to show that you have formally abandoned your permanent resident status.

It is strongly recommended that you make an electronic copy of the I-407 we return to you (as a *pdf on your computer) so that in the event you lose the paper copy of the I-407; you can always print a new copy.

Whenever you travel to the United States, you will need to make sure you take a copy of the processed I-407 with you to the airport.  If you show up at the airport without the processed I-407 and your passport shows that you had previously been admitted as a ‘LPR’ (Lawful permanent resident) or “ARC” (Alien Resident Card); the airlines will most likely not permit you to board the aircraft.

Please also note that once you have abandoned your lawful permanent resident status, you will need to apply online for the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (if eligible).

Abandoning your Permanent Resident Card and status does not affect your ability to apply to immigrate to the United States at some future time. However, you will have to begin the process anew and apply through the usual application process.