You must apply in Person if:
- You are applying for your first U.S. passport, or;
- You are under age 16, or;
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16, or;
- Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged, or;
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago.
Applying for a Passport in Person
The U.S. Embassy in Reykjavik accepts applications for minor and first time passport applications by appointment only every Monday. The link for making an appointment is at the bottom of this page, but before you make an appointment, please read through the information below.
The documents required to apply for a passport are:
- DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport. The address you provide in Block 8 of this document will be the address we use to mail your new passport to you. Please complete the form online, then print it out.
- One recent photograph, 2×2 inches (5×5 cm). The picture must be in color and should show the full frontal view on a plain white background. For more information on photo requirements, as well as a photo wizard which can show you how to take your own photos, click here. Note that most mall photo booths here in Iceland do not meet U.S. photo standards.
- Original U.S. birth certificate. For individuals born outside the United States, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad is required.
- Most recently issued passport (if applicable). If your most recent passport is unavailable due to loss, theft, or damage, form DS 64 – Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport – must be completed and submitted with the application.
- When applying on behalf of a minor child, each parent must present a valid id (passport, driver’s license, etc).
- Fee: $115.00 for minors (age 15 and younger); $145.00 for all other applicants. Fees are payable in U.S. dollars or the Icelandic kronur equivalent. The Embassy accepts cash and credit card payments only. We are unable to accept payment by debit card or personal check.
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING ELECTRONIC DEVICES:The US Embassy does not permit laptops or large electrical/electronic devices to be brought into the consular waiting room. Please do not bring your electronic devices to your visa interview or any other appointment you have with the Consular Section. The Embassy provides no storage for your electronic devices and customers coming to their appointment with a prohibited item(s) will not be permitted to enter the Embassy. The following small personal electronic devices may be brought into the consular waiting room, so long as they comply with all other Embassy procedural security requirements:
iPods and MP3 players
iPads and other small tablet devices (large tablets and Tablet/computer combos are not permitted.
Handheld gaming devices
Special Requirements for Minor Applicants (age 15 and younger)
In addition to the above requirements, the following guidelines apply if you are applying for a U.S. passport for a child, age 15 or younger.
- Both parents, as listed on the child’s birth certificate, must appear in person to sign the application in front of the Consular Officer. If one parent is unable to appear in person a notarized letter or a notarized form DS-3053 (PDF 41 KB) – Statement of Consent for a Passport to a Minor Child – must be submitted with the application.
- The child must appear in person at the time of the appointment at the Embassy.
- Valid proof of identification for both parents is required (such as a passport or driver’s license).
- Original Death Certificate: Applicable only if a parent listed on the child’s birth certificate has died.
- Original court documents demonstrating sole custody of the child: Applicable only if one parent is applying on behalf of the child and that parent has legal, sole custody.
Once you have all of the documents listed above to apply for your passport, you are ready to make an appointment. To make your visit to the Embassy as smooth as possible, please have all of your forms completed and printed when you come to the Embassy.
To book an appointment please click Book an Appointment.
Processing Time and Delivery
Your passport is usually ready 10 – 14 business days after you apply. Unless you advise us otherwise, your new passport will be mailed to you via the Icelandic post, using the address you provided on your application.
If your questions are not addressed here please contact us by email at email@example.com. We will respond to your message within two business days.