First Time Applicant – Over 18

The U.S. Embassy in Iceland accepts applications for Consular Reports of Birth (CRBA) for children born in Iceland to U.S. Citizen parent(s) and applications from first time applicants over age 18 born in Iceland to U.S. citizen parent(s) who have a claim to U.S. citizenship.

Please note that we strongly recommend that the birth of your child be reported to the Embassy as soon as possible after the birth.

If your child holds a nationality of a country other than the United States, and your child has a claim to U.S. citizenship, he or she must be in possession of a valid U.S. passport to enter and exit the United States.

The Embassy can also accept applications for a CRBA for children born outside Iceland, if child and parent(s) are currently residing in our consular district. As these applications must be forwarded to the consulate or embassy in the country of birth, processing time may be several months.  To set up an appointment for a child born outside of Iceland, please email us at

A comprehensive overview on the Consular Report of Birth Abroad can be found on Department of State’s website.

For information on how to replace or amend an already issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad see the Department of State’s website.

Reporting the Birth of a Child Born in Iceland to U.S. Citizen Parent(s)

Persons born abroad to a U.S. parent or parents, may have acquired citizenship at birth.  This determination is based upon a variety of facts: the law in effect at the time of birth, the amount of time the American citizen parent(s) lived in the United States prior to the birth of the child, and in some cases the marital status of the biological parents.  Please read more about the requirements for transmitting U.S. citizenship to a child born abroad to U.S. Citizen parent(s) before you start the process to report the birth of your child.

To book an appointment please click Book an Appointment.


The US Embassy does not permit laptops, tablets or large electrical/electronic devices to be brought into the consular waiting room.  Please do not bring your electronic devices to your visa interview or any other appointment you have with the Consular Section.  The Embassy provides no storage for your electronic devices and customers coming to their appointment with a prohibited item(s) will not be permitted to enter the Embassy. It is not allowed to bring backpacks into the US Embassy.

 The following small personal electronic devices may be brought into the consular waiting room, so long as they comply with all other Embassy procedural security requirements:


Smart phones

iPods and MP3 players

Wearable electronic fitness devices

Handheld gaming devices


If you, after reading the transmission requirements, believe your child has a claim to U.S. citizenship, it will be necessary for the U.S. citizen parent to execute an application for a “Consular Report of Birth Abroad” (PDF 61 KB) before a Consular Officer at the U.S. Embassy.  This Report is official evidence of U.S. citizenship and can only be issued to a person under the age of 18 who was born abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) and acquired citizenship at birth.  At the time you report the birth of your child, it is advised to submit an application for the child’s U.S. passport and for a social security number (PDF 132 KB).

Please note that it is not possible to receive a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for a child over the age of 18.  If your child has turned 18, see information for First Time Applicants.