Personal appearances at the U.S. Embassy, except for emergencies, are by appointment only. In the step-by-step instruction for each service on the right you will find a link to our appointment system. Please do not email the Embassy to request an appointment – you are able to make your appointment on-line yourself through this website.
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING ELECTRONIC DEVICES:
The US Embassy does not permit laptops or large electrical/electronic devices to be brought into the consular waiting room. Please do not bring your electronic devices to your visa interview or any other appointment you have with the Consular Section. The Embassy provides no storage for your electronic devices and customers coming to their appointment with a prohibited item(s) will not be permitted to enter the Embassy.
The following small personal electronic devices may be brought into the consular waiting room, so long as they comply with all other Embassy procedural security requirements:
iPods and MP3 players
iPads and other small tablet devices (large tablets and Tablet/computer combos are not permitted.
Handheld gaming devices
Apply for a Passport
Amend a Passport
Lost or stolen passports / Emergency passports
U.S. citizens who have lost their U.S. passport or for whatever other reason are not in possession of a U.S. passport and who have an urgent need to travel can apply for an emergency passport at the U.S. Embassy in Reykjavik, Iceland.
Before applying for an emergency passport, first check with the hotels, guest houses, or other places where you have stayed in Iceland to see if they have your passport. Likewise, check with tour and bus companies you have used, as they may be in possession of your passport. If you believe you may have lost your passport at the Keflavik Airport you can email the Keflavik Airport Police´s Lost and Found Department
The Keflavik Airport Police´s Lost and Found Department is open Monday – Friday from 08:30 to 12:30.
If you are not able to recover your lost passport, you will need to apply for a new passport. Applications for emergency passports are accepted at the U.S. Embassy in Reykjavik Monday – Friday from 8:00 – 8:30 am except on U.S. and Icelandic holidays when the Embassy is closed.
Before coming to the Embassy, you should:
- Complete but do not sign the DS-11 passport application. You also need to complete the DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen U.S. Passport.
- Secure a passport style photo. A photo booth is located on the ground floor in Kringlan Shopping Mall in front of the reception desk. The photo booth offers three sizes of photos – be sure to select the option of 2 photos size 5×5 cm. You cannot wear glasses.
Present Proof of Identity and Citizenship. You need to present government issued ID and proof of U.S. citizenship if in your possession. Proof of identity should include your photo, such as a driver’s license. Proof of citizenship could be your original U.S. birth certificate (or Consular Report of Birth).
- Check our website to see if a passport appointment is available before your scheduled date of departure. If an appointment is available, you should book the appointment and bring your completed paperwork. If an appointment is not available before your scheduled date of departure, you are welcome to drop off your paperwork for an emergency passport and to pay the applicable fee (for and adult passport $145 and $115 for children under the age of 16. You may pay in cash USD / ISK or by credit / debit card) at the U.S. Embassy in Reykjavik, Monday – Friday from 8:00-8:30 am. Applications for emergency passports are only accepted during these times.
Emergency passports are available for collection from the Embassy no earlier than 2:00 pm on the day the application is filed, but sometimes take longer to process.
Please consider this when arranging for your return flight to the United States. Travel time to Keflavik International Airport from the U.S. Embassy in Reykjavik is approximately 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Email ReykjavikConsular@state.gov to alert us that you will be coming and provide us your date of departure from Iceland.
- Third Party Attendance at Passport and CRBA appointment Interviews