Internal Revenue Service (U.S. Taxes)

Tax Filing Information for U.S. Taxpayers Abroad

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides the following tax filing guidance for U.S. taxpayers living abroad.  Links to further IRS guidance are available on the Federal Benefits and Obligations page on  U.S. taxpayers may call the International Taxpayer Service Call Center at 267-941-1000 (not toll-free).  Note that U.S. embassies and consulates cannot mail tax returns on behalf of U.S. taxpayers.

If you are a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (green card holder), you are responsible for filing U.S. federal income tax returns while abroad. You will find useful information on the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website, such as Frequently Asked Questions about taxes or how to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

If you are a U.S. government employee working overseas, you cannot claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. For additional information, visit the IRS website.

Important IRS Links

Other IRS links

Questions? Please see: Frequently Asked Questions about the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)