Travel Information Update
U.S. Embassy Reykjavik
July 20, 2020
TRAVELING TO THE UNITED STATES
Announcing Additions to the National Interest Exceptions: Travel in the national interest of the United States includes travel on a temporary basis that provides a substantial benefit to the U.S. economy including certain categories of students, academics, as well as certain business travelers, investors, treaty traders.
STUDENTS – F1, M1 and their dependents
- Must have a valid I-20
- SEVIS fee paid
- Students will need to self-quarantine subject to local requirements
- Students with a valid F1/F2 visa and a valid I-20 may travel to the U.S. and apply for admission.
ACADEMICS – J1 and their dependents
- Must have a valid DS-2019
- Includes the following categories:
- Research scholars
- Short term scholars
Does NOT include:
- Au Pairs
- Summer camp counselors
- Summer work travel programs
HOW TO APPLY:
- Complete the online application – DS-160
- Appointments are available through the online scheduling service:
- Pay the MRV fee in cash only of $160 USD. Students also must pay the reciprocity fee of $163 USD or the equivalent in ISK.
- Once a visa has been issued, the applicant may travel to the U.S.
- Those with a valid F1/F2/M1/M2 visa and I-20 do not need to reapply.
BUSINESS TRAVELERS (B1/B2) and their dependents
- Temporary travel to the U.S. includes:
- Technical experts and specialists
- Senior-level managers and executives
- Professional Athletes and essential staff who enter to participate in major sporting events
Contact ReykjavikConsular@state.gov for more information or to request an appointment.
- The U.S. travel ban barring entry to all foreign citizens from EU/Schengen countries remains in effect for all other categories of travelers.
- Email ReykjavikConsular@state.gov for more information.
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)