Location: Iceland; volcanic eruption in Reykjanes peninsula, southwest Iceland
Event: The Icelandic Met Office has confirmed that a volcanic eruption has started in the area around Fagradalsfjall on the Reykjanes Peninsula in southwest Iceland. The Keflavik International Airport is currently open.
The Icelandic Civil Protection authorities have closed the area around the eruption to vehicles and ask that people avoid the area while scientists are working to assess the situation. Children, the elderly, and animals are especially vulnerable to toxic gases emitted by the volcano.
Actions to Take:
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Follow recommendations by Civil Protection and other authorities.
- If you have a flight scheduled over the coming days, please confirm with your airline.
- Monitor the local news for updates (including the online English language newspaper The Iceland Monitor https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/)
- Follow the latest alerts on https://safetravel.is/
- U.S. Embassy Reykjavik, Iceland
+354-595-2248 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Iceland Country Information [https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Iceland.html]
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates: https://step.state.gov/step/