Health Alert – U.S. Citizens (Tourists) in Iceland Encouraged to Return to U.S. Now – Icelandair Drastically Reducing Service U.S. Embassy Reykjavik (March 27, 2020)
Event: U.S. citizens currently in Iceland are advised to return to the U.S. as soon as possible. One commercial flight per day is still available. Please contact your airline for more information. https://www.icelandair.com/support/covid-19/safe-travels/
U.S. citizens with travel plans to Iceland in March or April must postpone their visits. Iceland is participating in the EU travel ban along with other Schengen states, and travelers from outside the Schengen area are no longer granted access into the country.
All travelers entering Iceland, including Icelandic citizens and residents, must self-quarantine for 14 days.
On March 27, 2020, the Minister of Health for Iceland announced there were 890 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Iceland.
On March 6, 2020, the National Police Commissioner raised Iceland’s Civil Protection Emergency level to Emergency/Distress. The Alert is available on the website https://www.landlaeknir.is/koronaveira/english/.
As of March 23, the consular section at the U.S. Embassy in Reykjavik has suspended all routine visa and passport appointments. The Consular Section is open on an ad hoc basis for emergency appointments only on Wednesdays from 9:00 a.m. -11:00 a.m. Email ReykjavikConsular@state.gov to request an emergency appointment.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Iceland.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- S. Embassy Reykjavik, Iceland
+354-595-2248 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Iceland Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter